Stuff 'n' Nonsense

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Forgiven, written by A. A. Milne

I found a little beetle, so that Beetle was his name,
And I called him Alexander and he answered just the same.
I put him in a match-box, and I kept him all the day...
---
And Nanny let my beetle out-
Yes, Nanny let my beetle out-
She went and let my beetle out-
And Beetle ran away.
---
She said she didn't mean it,
and I never said she did,
She said she wanted matches
and she just took off the lid,
---
She said that she was sorry, but it's difficult to catch
An excited sort of beetle you've mistaken for a match.
---
She said that she was sorry, and I really mustn't mind,
As there's lots and lots of beetles which she's certain we could find,
If we looked about the garden for the holes where beetles hid-
And we'd get another match-box and write BEETLE on the lid.
---
We went to all the places which a beetle might be near,
And we made the sort of noises which a beetle likes to hear,
And I saw a kind of something, and I gave a sort of shout:
"A beetle-house and Alexander Beetle coming out!"
---
It was Alexander Beetle I'm as certain as can be
And he had a sort of look as if he thought it must be ME,
And he had a sort of look as if he thought he ought to say:
"I'm very, very sorry that I tried to run away."
---
And Nanny's very sorry too for you-know-what-she-did,
And she's writing ALEXANDER very blackly on the lid.
So Nan and Me are friends, because it's difficult to catch
An excited Alexander you've mistaken for a match.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home